The Friouato caves or cave are located about 30 km south of the city of Taza, Morocco. The farthest explored known point is about 272 meters, but its real limits are still mysterious. However, experts who believe that its ends stretch to about 6 kilometers. There are also signs of an underground river that is believed to flow near the Grottes of Chiker. People of the nearby village say that there have been many explorers visiting the cave, some of whom never came back. A cave diving expedition by Exeter University Speleological Society passed two static sumps in 1969 to discover more large chambers and shafts. The system ends in a massive choke of boulders. This may well be the same massive choke of boulders that can be seen at the end of the upst stream passages of the nearby Grotte du Chiker; this choke was also discovered in 1969 by the same group of cavers.
Kalaat M'Gouna is a town in Ouarzazate Province, Souss-Massa-Drâa, Morocco. According to the 2004 census it has a population of 14,190.The local growing of roses, whose petals are used to make perfume, is celebrated with a festival each May.
Kasbah Tamadot is located at the foothills of the Atlas Mountains, approximately one hour's drive from the centre of Marrakech, Morocco. of 1,320m above sea level and overlooks a valley whose river ebbs and flows with the seasons. On a clear day you can see Mount Toubkal, the Atlas' highest peak.
Moroccan Flag Description
The flag of Morocco is a deep red with a green five-pointed star, or pentagram, at its center.
The pentagram is outlined in black. Red has many important meanings for Morocco, reflecting the nation's history. Red has been used in Morocco to represent the royals, including the Alaouite family who ruled in the seventeenth century, and the Sherifs of Mecca and the Imams of Yemen. The red symbolizes bravery and strength.
The pentagram is a five-pointed star, drawn with five straight lines, which intersect to create the outline of a star. This style of star has long been used as a symbol of religions as the star of Solomon, and the green is also often associated with religion.
Flag of Morocco History
The flag of Morocco was adopted on November 17, 1915. When the French and Spanish ruled Morocco, the flag was not allowed to be used in some parts of the country. When Morocco gained independence in 1956, they resumed use of this flag.
Prior to the current flag, Morocco had used a plain red flag under the Alaouite Dynasty. The green five-pointed star was added to the flag in 1915, when Mulay Yusuf ruled Morocco. A green six-pointed star had been used for a few years before that. Other former flags, like those used under the Marinid Dynasty and the Saadi Dynasty, featured a gold eight-pointed star on a red field.
Smara, also Samara and Semara is a city in Moroccan south east with a population estimated at 42,056. It is served by Smara Airport and Smara buses station.
The largest city in its province, Smara was founded in the Saguia el-Hamra as an oasis for travellers in 1869. It is the only major city in Moroccan Sahara that was not founded by the Spanish. In the center of the city the remains of a stone fortress can be found, the Zawiy Maalainin, which enclosed a mosque. The Maalainin lived there from 1830 until 1912. It was made a capital and religious center in 1902 by shaykh Ma al-'Aynayn, in what was then Spanish Sahara. The location of the city was intended to ensure its becoming a caravan trade hub in the sparsely populated Sahara desert. The enlargement of Smara was carried out by local Sahrawis as well as craftsmen sent by the sultan Hassan I. In 1902, shaykh Ma al-'Aynayn moved to Smara and declared it his holy capital. Among other things, he created here an important Islamic library, and the town became a center of religious learning.
In 1904 the shaykh declared himself an imam and called for holy war (jihad) against French colonialism, which was increasingly pressing into the Sahara at this time. During the campaign against Ma al-'Aynayn, Smara was sacked almost completely in 1913 by the French Army, and its library destroyed The town was then handed over to the Spanish. In 1934 the town was once again destroyed after Sahrawi rebellions against the Spanish occupation.